Sometimes we get asked by both sellers and buyers if home warranties are worth it. Our answer is always YES as both parties benefit from these policies.
Home warranty plans, also known as home protection plans, provide coverage for home appliances and major heating, electrical and cooling systems in the event they fail or break down. If any of the items under warranty in the program should fail, the consumer simply contacts the home warranty company, and they see to it that the item is inspected, repaired or replaced by a qualified contractor for a small “service call fee” (typically $60-$75).
Having a policy in place makes a home, particularly an older home, more attractive to buyers, as it can provide piece of mind knowing there will be coverage for unforeseen repairs upon move in. They can also save the day and speed turnaround time during the escrow itself as having a warranty in place will take care of any last minute problems of failing appliances and systems that can lead to re-negotiations when it is time to close.
Research has shown that homes with a warranty plan sell faster and at a higher price point. Warranties are a very affordable way to help ensure a smooth home sale transaction and increase both seller and buyer satisfaction.
For more information on home warranty plans, check out the website of our partner American Home Shield.
Get those hats ready! Opening Day at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club is this Thursday and it promises to be as cool as ever. The Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will be opening this season with its usual party and hat contest. Be creative and you could win a share of more than $5,000 in total prizes. In addition to the horse races, the Thoroughbred Club hosts a series of Four O’Clock Friday Concerts with amazing bands included in the admission price. Check out the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club calendar to see all the great events happening during the season that runs through Labor day.
Since the races don’t start until the afternoon, why not head to Del Mar early and stop by our office before the races. We are conveniently located at the same exit as the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club and would love the opportunity to show you properties near the races – perhaps a condo with a racetrack view in Solana Beach, a house on the beach in Del Mar or a property for your own horses in Rancho Santa Fe. Whatever your real estate needs are in Coastal North San Diego County, we are here to help!
The 4th of July is a great time to celebrate our country. For most Americans, it means enjoying a BBQ meal and watching fireworks. North San Diego County has no shortage of options to enjoy fireworks this year. Check Discover San Diego’s website to see a list of firework locations throughout San Diego County.
In addition to fireworks, North San Diego County has some fun local 4th of July events. The City of Del Mar hosts an annual 4th of July Parade in the beautiful Powerhouse Park. Show up dressed in your favorite patriotic custom with your decorated bikes, scooters, wagons, baby strollers and leashed pets to participate in this annual tradition The San Diego Botanical Gardens also has an annual 4th of July Parade through the garden that is wonderful for young children. Families can parade decorated strollers and wagons (no bikes) and wear red, white and blue! Legoland’s Red, White and BOOM! has patriotic activities from morning to night including custom building contests, dance parties, costume contests and, of course, fireworks! The San Diego County Fair also has special Independence Day events, in addition to their amazing fireworks, including a Stars, Stripes and Stems Floral Design Contest, Patriotic Costume Contest, Hometown Heroes Parade and the Navy Band Southwest performing at the Grandstand Stage.
Though we may enjoy the excitement of the day, it is important to keep pets safe and stress free. The ASPCA has this great list of tips on what to do to keep your pet safe:
- Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
- Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
- Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.
- Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.
- Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage could occur from swallowing large pieces of the plastic containers.
- Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.
- Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
- Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.
The Geller-Meier Team hopes you enjoy and have a safe 4th of July Holiday!
Instead of another tie this year how about some cool new Smart Home Technology for Father’s Day? Smart Home Technology is gaining in popularity and would make a great gift for dad. Earlier this year, some members of the Coldwell Banker Real Estate Corporate Marketing Team were lucky enough attended 2015 Consumer Electronics Show(CES), and got to check out many of the new products available. They also surveyed real estate agents and learned that the number of listings with smart home technologies has been increasing rapidly. Not only that, but homes with more smart features tend to sell quicker. So, perhaps you can get dad a gift that is not only cool, but will help his house sell when the time comes.
Inspired by all the great products the Corporate Marketing Team saw at the CES and that survey, Coldwell Banker compiled a list of the top 25 smart home products and technologies that matter most to buyers. You can check out the complete list of amazing security, temperature, safety, lighting, entertainment, appliances and overall connectivity products on Coldwell Banker’s blog.
Of course, your choice of gift should be something the dad in your life would appreciate. If your your dad really enjoys wine, he might like a new wine cellar. The N’FINITY PRO HDX Dual Zone Wine Cellars may be the gift for him as it will take care of all wine storage needs (with its dual controls) in the most cost efficient way! If he is into entertainment, he might prefer a TCL Roku TV – with its selection of more than 2,000 streaming channels, easy-to-use interface and simple remote. The DishWorld TV App might also be a good option, as it allows viewers to stream live TV on any smart phone, computer or tablet. Any tech junkie would probably love one of the many new smart home kits to create a connected home, such as the Iris Smart Kit. There are other practical options too – such as security and safety gadgets.
If you want expert advice on what technology helps houses sell real estate in San Diego, please give the Geller-Meier Team a call. Maxine Geller and Eva Meier would be happy to share what local buyers are requesting and what sets listings apart in the North County Coastal area.
Do you know someone who will be attending college or graduate school in San Diego? Or perhaps they are starting their first job in San Diego. If so, we would love to discuss why investing in a property, versus renting, for the next few years makes financial sense.
Interest rates continue to be near historic lows, making financing very attractive. Though the San Diego housing market has been hot and prices have been on the rise, there are still many great opportunities to buy condos and townhomes close to San Diego’s campuses for less than $500,000.
In addition, there are a variety of FHA programs to choose from which could be very attractive to Baby Boomers/Empty Nesters looking to help their child get into his/her first home. Many people are under the illusion that they’d have to fork over a 20-25% down payment ($80,000 to $100,000) to help their kid get into a $400,000-$500,000 home—when in fact it can be done for less than $22,000.
Here’s how it works: The young adult goes out with Mom & Dad’s favorite Realtors – Maxine Geller and Eva Meier. They find a 3-bedroom home for under $500,000. Mom and/or Dad help him/her qualify for an FHA mortgage with as little as only 3.5% down. As owner/occupant, they can bring in a couple roommates for $750 each… and enjoy living in his own home for only $1200 a month. And it’ll only cost the parents $22,000 out of pocket.
We have done this with several clients and it is a total win-win! FHA is a sleeping giant that many agents and clients forget about— with interest rates at historic lows there’s never been a better time for Mom and Dad to help their adult children get into a home of their own. Let us know if you or someone you know has someone we can help with their first home.
Memorial Day is a time to remember the people who died while serving our country’s armed forces. We want to take this oportunity to extend our appreciation and condolences to anyone who has lost family members or friends while serving. We also would like to thank those who have served and continue to serve in our armed forces.